Senior Polymer Materials Engineer
Niron is seeking a Senior Polymer Materials Engineer for its Industrial Lab, located in Minneapolis, MN.
The individual hired for this position will be responsible for developing lab-scale manufacturing methods used to produce polymer bonded permanent magnets.
Primary Roles & Responsibilities
This individual will orchestrate the development of Niron’s methods for making polymer bonded permanent magnets formed as a magnetic polymer matrix composite. The individual will be responsible for developing the mechanical and chemical processes used to form the polymer matrix composites using processes such as forming, melting, injecting, extruding, bonding, molding, and curing. Primary duties include developing methods to uniformly disperse particles into polymer resins and methods to produce polymer matrix composites. Other responsibilities may include advanced characterization of the particle/resin blends as they progress through the processing steps.
Day-to-day responsibilities are organized around Niron’s R&D cadence:
- Develop R&D plan;
- Run experiments against the plan;
- Gather and record experimental data;
- Analyze results, generate insights;
- Translate to theoretical and empirical conclusions;
- Adjust the R&D plan based on research conclusions;
- Develop and document standard operating procedures and train to these procedures.
- Strong engineering and chemistry background, e.g. MS or PhD in materials science, polymer science, chemistry, or chemical engineering or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in polymer matrix composite design and synthesis processes (especially particulate reinforced composites)
- Demonstrated expertise in developing the mechanical and chemical processes used to create polymer matrix composites using processes such as forming, melting, injecting, extruding, bonding, molding, and curing
- Strong materials engineering research experience
- Successful leadership in the transfer to manufacturing of polymer products from R&D
- Familiarity with statistical methods, DOE, Six Sigma, and Lean
- Experience in leading teams, projects and related methodologies to optimize delivery of results on time, and on budget
- Experience in manufacturing polymer-bonded permanent magnets is desired
- Strong interpersonal communication, prioritization and organizational skills
- Think strategically and in business terms, providing vision to technical solutions that are aligned with Niron’s mission
- Ability to self-direct
- Proficient computer skills (Microsoft Office, statistical and data visualization software)
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive medical and dental insurance
- Equity position in Niron
- 401k plan with company match
- Paid vacation, sick time, and holidays
- Experience in a venture backed startup